DON HALVERSON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
This fund was started in 1994 by Don’s wife Emily through the many memorials received at Don’s death. Some months later, the Black River Falls Lions Club, of which Don was president at the time of his death, sponsored a special fund-raiser to increase the scholarship fun. In 1996, the Lions Club again contributed additional funds.
“Don was a high school teacher, coach, and athletic director and loved working with the youth in our community His heart was always in education and I know he would be pleased that we have established this annual $1,500 scholarship to help students further their education. This was very important to Don. I am so appreciative of the Lions Club members for their continuing contributions to this fund. By establishing this scholarship fund through the Foundation, I know it will continue to help students for many, many years.” Emily Halverson
- Amount of Scholarship(s): $1,500
- Number of Scholarship(s) Awarded: 1
- Payment(s) to the selected recipient(s) will be made directly to the university/college financial aid office. One-half ($750) will be paid the first semenster and the second half will be paid for the second semester.
- Be a graduate or alumni of Black River Falls High School
- Application Deadline is: (See the BRF High School Website for this information)
Applicants must submit the following items to be considered for this scholarship:
- Application forms and additional Instructions can be obtained from Black River Falls High School.
Selection will be made by the Black River Falls High School Scholarship Committee.
1997 Dawn Olson, Winona State University, Winona, MN
1998 Jarod Meyer, UW LaCrosse
1999 Kristen Lindow, UW LaCrosse
2000 Tm Johnson, Winona State University, Winona, MN
2001 Brianna Kappen, Viterbo University, LaCrosse, WI
2002 Kelly Firkins
2003 Lance Weirsma
2005 Katy Zahrte
2006 Lucas Bohac
2007 Kyle Von Ruden
2008 Brittany Torkelson
2009 Laura Henkel
2010 Adam Nichols
2011 Melinda Laudon
2012 Emma Erlandson
2013 Katie Kira Pettibone, Viterbo University, LaCrosse, WI: Nursing
2014 Nathan Slenczka, UW Whitewater: Secondary Education