(ESTABLISHED IN 2013-FIRST DISBURSED 2014)
Rick (Richard Everett) Millis was born June 2, 1957 in BRF. In 1988, at the age of 31, Rick was tragically killed in an automobile accident leaving an empty spot in many, many hearts. Rick graduated from BRF High School in 1975. His classmates enjoyed his ready smile and his sense of humor. The quote they used to describe Rick was “laugh and the study hall laughs with you, go to the office and you go alone.” Rick enjoyed all sports, but particularly football, basketball and golf. He also enjoyed anything on or in the water including boating, water skiing and swimming at the family cabin on Lake Arbutus. His parents, Bill & Bev Millis, his brothers, Mike, David, Steven, Dan and Paul, and his sisters Kathy Powell and Kari Pearson, created this scholarship to honor Rick’s memory.
- Amount of Scholarship(s): Variable
- Number of Scholarship(s) Awarded: Variable
- Payment(s) to the selected recipient(s) will be made directly to the university/college financial aid office – with one-half paid for the Fall semester and the 2nd one-half paid for the Spring Semester.
- Be a graduate of Black River Falls High School or Alma Center Lincoln High School.
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the use of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout their high school career as determined by the school.
- Be accepted for full-time enrollment as an undergraduate student to a four- year university or a two- year college.
- Application Deadline is:
Applicants must submit the following items to be considered for this scholarship:
- An essay (up to 250 words) on a “life experience that has had the most impact on your educational goals and objectives.”
- Scholarship application
- Verification of satisfactory academic progress, including transcript and GPA information; or GED.
- A list of community service, athletic, extra-curricular, or additional activities in which you have participated in; or work experience.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Application forms and additional Instructions can be obtained from Black River Falls High School by clicking here: (Link to BRF High School Scholarship Web Site) and from Alma Center Lincoln High School by clicking here: (Link to AC High School Scholarship Web Site)
Selection will be made by the Millis family based on the following formula:
- 40% Financial
- 20% Essay
- 20% Academic achievement
- 20% community service, athletic and/or activities participation; or work experience.
Sheena Grace Jelena Voge
Attending: Carroll University
Course of Study: Pre-Physical Therapy Major in Exercise Science.
Career Path: Doctor of Physical Therapy.
Alma Center, Wisconsin
Attending: UW Stevens Point
Course of Study: Early Childhood Education
Back Row from left: David Millis, Mike Millis, Bill Millis, Dan Millis, Paul Millis, Steve Millis
Front Row from left: Kari Pearson, Bev Millis, Kathy Powell